Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. For some, it means the fun of dressing up — even though adults don’t normally get to do that (of course, cosplay is a completely different story). It’s also fun for adults to help their kids dress up. And there’s something about being able to decorate the home with the “darker” elements of life. Do you really think a skull or cobwebs is socially acceptable any other time of year? It’s a celebration of fun, youth and the forbidden.
If you want to get ready for Halloween, here are 25 sites that can help you get in the mood, from spooky Halloween culture to the kid stuff that makes Halloween one of the funnest celebrations of the year.
Halloween as we know it today is a combination of a number of different traditions and origins. Those who are interested in the origins of Halloween, as well as interested in learning more about enjoying Halloween year-round, can enjoy these blogs — some of which have a true spook factor.
- Pumpkin Rot: A journey into the spirit of Halloween. Creepy videos and images to help you find inspiration, as well as great ideas on music, decor and other items related to Halloween.
- Casey’s Cavernous Halloween Links: This Halloween site includes a number of interesting links to recipes and games, as well as sounds and even animals. A treasure trove of Halloween ideas and inspiration.
- Melissa’s Halloween Links: Melissa is all about Halloween and giving you the tools to make it awesome. From gossamer fabric to give your walls the look of a dungeon to music to Halloween how-tos, you can find just about anything you want to related to Halloween.
- Dark Side of the Net: This is a web site devoted to items of a darker nature. This site focuses on Halloween culture, goth culture and other things devoid of much light. This site is a wealth of information where you can find out about local Halloween happenings, and see reviews of books and films related to scarier themes. One of the best features is the ability to locate some of the spookiest haunted houses around.
- The Horror Blog: Learn about horror and enjoy it year round on this blog.
- History of Halloween: The Featherless Biped offers an interesting look at the history of Halloween. He looks at the reason that some in the mainstream dislike Halloween, as well as addressing some of the rumors surrounding Halloween. Also takes a look at the “scare” literature that comes out every year around this time.
- Creepy L.A.: This blog is location specific to Los Angeles. But that doesn’t mean it’s not interesting for everyone else. Get a good look at Halloween culture and happenings.
- 365 Halloween: Devoted to those who are interested in scary things all year, this web site offers great recipes on Halloween related food and activities that can keep the Halloween spirit alive year round. Includes links to costumes, great costume ideas and fun things for kids to do.
- Halloween Haunt: This blog includes discussions on spirits and other Halloween staples. This blog also explores haunted houses and other spooky places. This blog also includes history, stories and poems related to the celebration of Halloween.
Halloween Crafts and Decorations
If you want to make your home more “Halloweeny”, you can do so with the help of crafts and decorations. Here are some web sites and blogs that offer insight into making your home a haven for the Halloween spirit.
- Old Fashion Halloween: Get craft and decor ideas, along with helpful images to show you how it’s all done.
- Holidays.com: The Halloween section provides you with recipes, crafts and decor ideas to help you get into the spirit of Halloween.
- Octoberfarm: This blog offers a number of interesting decor ideas. Also includes recipes using autumn foods, and helps you get ready for Halloween.
- About.com Family Crafts: Some great Halloween craft ideas and decoration ideas. You can even sign up for a 31 days of crafts newsletter to give you plenty of instructions and ideas for creating a Halloween atmosphere in your home.
- All Free Crafts: The Halloween page on All Free Crafts is great. It features decoration ideas, pumpkin carving patterns, other Halloween decor that includes pumpkins and more. There are plenty of good directions and helpful images that can help you decorate your home in the spirit of Halloween.
- FaveCraftsBlog: This blog includes some great Halloween craft ideas. These make great decorations ranging from spooky to fun.
- Mental Floss: Want to spook up your house for Halloween? These great DIY Halloween decoration ideas can really make your holiday.
- Halloween Central: This is a site on Martha Stewart’s web site. Get some decorating ideas, complete with images, including how they look in your home. Also includes an entire section on pumpkins and decorating with them.
Halloween Kid Stuff
Halloween is a fun holiday for kids. The candy! The dressing up! The staying up later! Here are some web sites that can provide some great ideas for making Halloween even more fun for the kids.
- Kidz Page: This site offers games, puzzles and more for children. Check out the Halloween page for some fun Halloween coloring pages and games.
- DLTK: Get some great Halloween craft ideas for children. Coloring pages, costume ideas, cradts, games and even pumpkin carving patterns for those who are interested in providing holiday-themed activities for their children.
- Apples 4 Teacher: This site is chock-full of family-oriented Halloween activities. Jigsaw puzzles, games, historical information on Halloween and other activities are all available.
- About.com Children’s Books: If you want to interest your children in books, you can get a little help from Halloween books. These books offer child-friendly Halloween stories with great illustrations.
- Family Education: Create some fun kids games. Halloween game ideas, such as “Find the Pumpkin” and “Tricks and Treats”, provide you with hours of fun. Great for kids’ parties as well.
- Squidoo: There is a great page on Squidoo with Halloween craft ideas for children. There are a number of ideas, with detailed instructions, that can help you create craft ideas for kids.
- Halloween Ideas: Get good ideas for Halloween with kids. This blog also includes a great post on homemade costume ideas for children, as well as a post on Halloween recipes and throwing Halloween parties.